Sudan crackdown reveals military's limit on extent of change

Tuesday's announcement follows deadly violence in the capital, Khartoum, in which more than 35 people are believed to have died when security forces moved to disperse a main protest camp outside the defence ministry. Protesters fear that the military would refuse to give up power, despite ongoing talks about an interim government.

The SPA was meanwhile appealing to global medical aid organizations to intervene and help the injured, who it said were trapped in the square, which security forces had now blocked off access to.

A protester flashes the victory sign in front of burning tires and debris on road 60, near Khartoum's army headquarters, in Khartoum, Sudan, Monday, June 3, 2019.

The SPA also rejected the establishment of a governmental committee to investigate Monday's deaths, spokesman Amjad Farid said, adding that the TMC was accused of targeting protesters.

The casualty figures are expected to rise dramatically, with many protesters still unaccounted for, and reports of security forces dumping bodies into the Nile River. One video posted on social media showed a protester collapse to the ground, crying in pain after being hit by what appeared to be live fire.

"What is clear to us is that there was the use of excessive force by the security forces on civilians".

Amal al-Zein, another activist, said security forces set fire to the tents in sit-in area.

"What happened (on Monday) - the killing and injuring of protesters, the humiliation - was a systematic and planned attempt to impose repression on the Sudanese people", Madani told Reuters.

In a televised address in the early hours of Tuesday morning, council leader Burhan said the opposition coalition was equally responsible for the delay in coming to a final agreement.

The European Union also called on Sudan's military leaders to allow people to protest peacefully and urged a speedy transfer of power to civilians.

But Madani Abbas Madani, a leader of the Declaration of Freedom and Change Forces opposition alliance, said a civil disobedience campaign would continue to try to force the council from power.

"Despite today's violence, the public have continued to protest against the military rule", Ram said.

The Soufan Group, a security and intelligence think-tank, warned that the situation could escalate swiftly to more violence.

Tens of thousands of protesters remained in place since his ouster to demand civilian control over the transitional period in this North African country of 40 million.

The TMC, which is led by Lieutenant-General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, has spent the past weeks visiting the leaders of Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, who have made major financial contributions to shore up Sudan's economy during the transition.

Troops from various military and police units descended upon the encampment, led by soldiers wearing the desert camouflage fatigues of the Rapid Support Force (RSF), a brutally repressive paramilitary outfit that has been used by the regime in Khartoum to suppress regional rebellions in Darfur and in the east of the country.

Britain's ambassador to Sudan said he was "extremely concerned" about the gunfire heard from his residence. "The path to stability, recovery and partnership with the through a civilian-led government", Tibor Nagy, the assistant secretary of state for Africa, wrote on Twitter. "The TMC can not responsibly lead the people of Sudan", it added referring to the transitional military council.

"Responsibility falls on the TMC".