"Pieces Of Flesh Thrown All Over Walls": Lanka Church Blast Witness

The attacks continued hours after the initial string of six explosions.

The government imposed a nationwide curfew from 6 p.m.to 6 a.m. and blocked Facebook and other social media, saying it needed to curtail the spread of false information and ease tension.

The nature of all the explosions was not immediately clear.

"I want to express my affectionate closeness with the Christian community, attacked while it was at prayer, and to all the victims of such cruel violence", he said.

Reuters reported that at least 27 of the dead were foreigners, including three Indians, five from the United Kingdom, three from Denmark, two from Turkey and two of whom had dual USA citizenship.

Some of Colombo's Buddhist monks visited St Anthony's Shrine after the attack.

Pope Francis, after celebrating Mass in St Peter's Square, said the attacks had "brought mourning and sorrow" on the most important of Christian holidays.

The military has been deployed and security has been increased at Colombo's global airport, a military spokesman said.

The Kingsbury is also one of Colombo's most expensive hotels, positioned near the city's World Trade Center. It was unclear whether there were any casualties in the hotels.

He said his family lived about five minutes from where one of the eight bombings happened before they moved.

Three five-star hotels in Colombo that are frequented by foreigners were attacked on Sunday morning.

Minutes later, another explosion was heard in Dematagoda in Colombo.

"At this time as Easter Sunday draws to a conclusion here in Australia, our heart goes out to those Christians and all of those other innocents who have been slaughtered today in this horrific terrorist attack".

An official at the Batticaloa hospital told AFP more than 300 people had been admitted with injuries following the blast there.

Two of the blasts were suspected to have been carried out by suicide bombers, according to an official, who spoke on condition of anonymity as he was not authorised to speak with reporters. The toll included two Turkish citizens, one Dutch national and two Chinese cousins.

However authorities have at least 13 suspects in custody and Defense Minister Ruwan Wijewardena described the bombings, which killed more than 200 people, as suicide attacks by a single group of religious extremists, though he did not specify. However, the country's attorney general denied any such alerts had been shared with officials.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said in a statement: "To the handsome people of Sri Lanka, Australia sends its heartfelt sympathies and our prayers and our support - and our offer to do whatever we can to support you in this awful time of need".

Prime Minister Narendra Modi strongly condemned the string of deadly blasts in Sri Lanka and offered full help to the Island nation in its times of crisis and stated that "there is no place for barbarism in the region". "The government is taking immediate steps to contain this situation".

Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe called a national security council meeting at his home for later in the day.

Sunday's bomb attack came a month after dozens of Muslims were killed in a shooting at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.


Popular

CONNECT