New Zealand police believe only one attacker responsible for shootings

The main suspect in the mosque shootings that killed 50 people in New Zealand on Friday, 28-year-old Australian Brenton Tarrant, has appeared in court on a single murder charge.

He grew up in the small town of Grafton in Australia, but had travelled widely in recent years.

"This man wrote in his manifesto that the goal of using a firearm was to divide us", Tipple said. They had a review and that review recommended much stronger laws, including a ban on these military weapons, including the registration of all guns.

The company had also said that they were removing any praise or support for the crime and the shooter as soon as they became aware.

The man appeared before Christchurch District Court on Monday.

New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush announced the latest death in a news conference Sunday.

Huge piles of flowers were laid at sites near the mosques and crowds of people of all faiths gathered to pay respects.

"On behalf of all New Zealanders, we grieve together".

"It brings to mind our own values and why we find this so abhorrent".

Earlier on Monday, the National Crisis Centre gave an update setting out the kinds of help and support that are available, ranging from financial help for the families affected to assistance to schools and parents on how to communicate with their children about what happened.

An 18-year-old New Zealander has been jailed without bail for allegedly sharing a video of the Christchurch mosque attack, as well as posting an image of the mosque days before the massacre, with the caption "Target acquired".

The gunman who attacked two mosques on Friday live-streamed the attacks on Facebook for 17 minutes using an app designed for extreme sports enthusiasts, with copies still being shared on social media hours later.

Gun City owner David Tipple said Tarrant bought the weapons and ammunition between December 2017 and March 2018.

Mr Tipple said: "We detected nothing extraordinary about this license holder". He also said that Tarrant did not appear to be mentally unstable and that he has made a decision to represent himself in court.

"The way he presented was rational and someone who was not suffering any mental disability. It's going to be a criminal charge against the guy who's done this, so they need to be pretty thorough", he said. "So you will feel safe to go about what you want to do".

Mustafa Farooq, president of the Federation of Islamic Associations of New Zealand, told reporters he had faith in the system.

"We should not share, spread, or actively engage in that message of hate", she said.

"We believe in the justice system here and we know it will do what is right".

The families of the victims were still waiting to be able to bury their loved ones.

The government has said grants will be available to pay for the funerals, and dozens of graves are now being dug by crews at Memorial Park Cemetery in Christchurch.

Authorities say they hope to release all the bodies by Wednesday.

"We have burial expert teams in place ready to receive the bodies at a point in time". The dead from Friday's attack span generations, aged between three and 77, according to a sombre list circulated among relatives.

Some victims came from the neighbourhood, others from as far afield as Egypt.

Talha Naeem, who was with father Naeem Rashid at the time of the attack, was also killed. Fifty people were injured and Christchurch hospital is still treating 36, of whom 12 are in a critical condition.

The country remained on high alert on Sunday, with police closing an airport in the southern city of Dunedin - where Tarrant had lived - after an unidentified package was spotted on the airfield.

The club, the Bruce Rifle Club, closed on Monday and its vice president said it may never reopen.

Distinctive writing on the mosque attacker's weaponry included the names of figures from the Crusades, the religious wars waged by European Christians against Muslims for control of the Holy Land in the Middle Ages.


Popular

CONNECT