Kyle Larson leads when Bristol race resumes

"I feel like every time I race here I nearly get a win", Larson said of his second-place finish.

The win was Busch's second straight win on the 2018 season and his seventh win at Bristol.

JOHNSON'S TOP FIVE: Jimmie Johnson was pleased with earning his first top-five finish of the season, and hoped to quiet some of his critics.

At that time, Larson had the lead on Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

But the key to Busch's winning move Monday was not giving Larson a chance to get even. Wallace passed Busch with 126 laps remaining to lead a Cup race for the first time in his young career.

Who knows; maybe she just wanted the show to last a little longer. That caution was brought out when Brad Keselowski, who won the first and second stages of the race, experienced a problem with his left front tire and hit the wall.

A Keselowski spin with 30 laps remaining allowed Busch - who at the time was doing everything he could do to keep his auto stable with the worn tires - to pit for tires, setting up his late charge for the victory Monday afternoon.

But neither Stenhouse nor Larson had the same grip after the last stop.

"I've said for weeks now that we're getting better and it's great to finally have a result to back that up".

Taking the lead for the final time from Kyle Larson, who led a race-high 200 laps, with just six laps to go, the driver of the No. 18 Toyota had to make it through lapped traffic as the final circuits ran down.

NASCAR had applied traction compound to the lower groove before the race resumed (but before another quick, freezing rain forced NASCAR to dry the track) and a top groove - one that potentially could have helped Larson - never truly came in. Drivers need to complete 46 more laps for the race to be official.

Larson, 25, was also leading on a previous red flag period for weather less than a half hour earlier Sunday afternoon.

Fellow Penske driver Ryan Blaney looked to be the driver to beat on Sunday but the Penske No. 12 Ford was caught up in a multi-car crash in Stage One.

The Food City 500 is his second consecutive Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series victory this season and second in a row at Bristol.

The green flag fell just after 1:30 p.m. under cloudy skies and with a thermometer reading of 40 degrees.