Two dead in Kenya poll protests

Kenyan police say they shot and killed two people during riots overnight by opposition supporters after President Uhuru Kenyatta was declared the victor in elections overshadowed by fraud allegations. On Friday morning, in anticipation of the official results being announced, Odinga's supporters staged small demonstrations in some areas, taunting the police and chanting "No Raila, no peace". "She was my only hope".

Police also opened fire in the capital, Nairobi, where opposition protesters had blocked roads and set up burning barricades.

They lit bonfires and barricaded streets just hours after the electoral commission announced Kenyatta as the victor.

The protests were inspired by the announcement that incumbent President Uhuru Kenyatta is the victor of the Tuesday election. A mortuary official said nine bodies with gunshot wounds were brought to the Nairobi morgue from Mathare.

An Associated Press photographer said police used tear gas on a large convoy of vehicles carrying opposition officials that tried to enter Kibera.

"The judicial process, the judicial system of Kenya and the election laws themselves make full and adequate provision for accountability in this election", said Kerry, an election observer for the Carter Center.

Authorities and witnesses say a dozen people, including a 9-year-old girl, have been fatally shot following the official announcement that Kenyatta won a second term in Tuesday's election. National election officials have decried the accusations, saying the vote was free and credible. Police also fired guns into the air.

However protests remained isolated today, with several hundred demonstrators engaging in running battles with police who quickly dispersed what Interior Minister Fred Matiangi referred to as "criminal elements".

Kenya's opposition leader Raila Odinga has rejected the election results, accusing the president's ruling party of hack the servers of the commission to rig the numbers in favor of Kenyatta.

In the southwestern town of Siaya, a police officer speaking on condition of anonymity said a man had been shot dead in protests, but "we have not managed to collect the body. because of resistance from protesters".

But reconciliation efforts, the introduction of a progressive constitution in 2010 and an intense security operation during the recent election period have helped to ward off the kind of ethnic violence after the 2007 election in which more than 1,000 people were killed.